8/29/09

A wonderful day...

I have no pictures to post tonight, only words. I am too tired to pull the memory card from my camera and put it into my pc to transfer my pics. I will share those tomorrow. Tonight I am tired, but it is a good tired. My beautiful group of stamping friends joined me for an afternoon of making cards for the Northern California Ronald McDonald House. We gathered at the Community Event Center in the Raley's Super Market near my house and made cards for the families that need them and some cards for ourselves. Everyone had a great time and it was a great cause and my heart is full and happy. My best friend Ruby and I prepared our materials very late last night and very early this morning, because we have both had very long and busy weeks. Not the best way to plan an event, but we got it done and it was so worth it. I want to thank her for taking time away from her family and as always being the best teammate that I can ask for. Love ya, Ruby! Many thanks to my downline Diane for helping us set up. You girls are the best!

And as silly as it seems, I also want to thank the lady in front of me in line at Raley's today. I had just loaded up everything in my car and ran back into the store to visit the deli and pick up one of their tasty sandwiches, as I did not have time to grab one before our event. I had 3 items in my hand and the lines were terribly long, but the kind woman in front of me insisted that I go before her as she had a huge load in her cart. Bless her, she must have seen the tired expression on my face, (and my sweaty forehead from packing up my stuff and schlepping it to the car in the heat). Her kindness made my day, and if I had not already packed up all of my pretty cards, I would have given her one. I could not thank her enough.

I also want to thank the bagger at Raley's (one of my favorites, as I shop there all the time). He saw me schlepping my load to the car and stopped to help me load my Big Shot Bag, my display board, all of my supplies and whatever else I had in the shopping cart (none of it was groceries, by the way). He asked me if I had held a class there earlier and I told him about it and the classroom was very nice and perfect for our gatherings. He thanked me for having it there and then whisked away my empty shopping cart so I would not have to walk it over to the cart corral. This might not seem like much, but for an almost 41 year old, out of shape woman in the midst of hot flashes in 100 degree weather, saving me those extra 100 steps made me want to grab him and kiss him! The kindness of these 2 people, in their small and simple ways, added to the warm feeling I already had in my heart. I loaded myself (and my sandwich) into my car, drove the 3 blocks home and enjoyed my lovely turkey and avocado on French in the coolness of my house, filled with 3 dogs, 2 daughters, my very patient husband and a wandering pet frog (that escaped it's tank the day before). After that I read a magazine, took a cat nap and chilled with my 10 year old video game addicted daughter. It was a wonderful day....

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I had a wonderful time and enjoyed making the cards. Hope we do it again soon. Rest and enjoy your weekend. Thanks

Anita said...

Glad that you had help moving everything. I look forward to another event like this.