12/7/10

Magnetic Memo Board


I created this magnetic memo board last weekend.  I ordered Magnetic Sheets from Stampin' Up! because I have been dying to experiment with them and this is what I came up with.  I love this project because the major parts of it are recycled!  The base of is actually an 8x12" piece of chipboard that was cut from the backing of our Specialty Designer Series Paper.  SU packages our paper this way to keep it safe when shipped.  This is heavy gauge chipboard that sells for a few bucks a sheet at craft stores, so when you buy our Specialty DSP, this is an added bonus!  I used my tabletop cutter to cut it down and I also used it to cut thru the magnetic sheet, and it cut like butter!  The magnetic sheets come in 6x13" pcs and I cut this one down to 6x10'".  The magnetic sheets are cool because they have an adhesive backing so you just peel and stick! 


The top element was cut from more recycle chipboard using the Top Note die for the Big Shot.  I just cut my "Newsprint" DSP big enough to cover the die (I cut black card stock out as well).  I used my SU glue stick to clue the DSP to one side of the chipboard and the black card stock to the other.  Then I just ran it thru, DSP side down, and voila! My Top Note comes out cut and already decorated!  The pressure of the Big Shot roller compresses the DSP, chipboard and card stock together so there is no chance of it coming apart.  I used my handy dandy Crop-o-dile to cut holes in the Top Note for my Antique Brads and holes in my base for Jumbo Eyelets (you won't find these at the "M" store!).  I used some heavy duty jute to thread thru the eyelets because I wanted a more rustic look, but you could also use our wide striped ribbon as well.

I stamped the Take Note image from the "Notably Ornate" stamp set and mounted it on the large tag from the "Lots of Tags" Sizzlet set, added two Vintage Brads and then attached it to the center of the top note with dimensionals.  I thought the sentiment was perfect for this project.


Now, you can thank my husband for the elements on the next part.  I have a pretty sizable collection of bottle caps due to Brandon's fondness of beer, so I pulled some out and added some circles punched with my SU punches and some letters stamped with a stamp set from last year's Spring Mini Catalog, can't remember the name right now.  I love this set and thought the typeset looking letters fit perfectly into the theme of this project. Now the bottle caps stuck to the magnetic sheets since they are metal, but I wanted a stronger magnetic attraction, so I added some tiny heavy duty, iincredibly strong neodymium magnets that I purchased from Etsy (cheapest place to find them - $5.00 for 50! - thanks Kim Jonson, for the tip!).  I wanted to make sure that they would stay in place as this project ended up for sale at Vintage Market on Sunday. 


I am really happy with how this project turned out and I cannot wait until I have time to make more in different themes and colors!  Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I love this it turned really great

Anita said...

Beautiful!